[XeTeX] hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jun 22 19:16:18 CEST 2004

On 22 Jun 2004, at 11:26 am, Somadevah at aol.com wrote:

> Dear listmembers,
>
>  I would appreciate any pointers from anyone who has managed to
> compile their own hyphenation patterns for XeTeX. For instance,
> previous versions of Devanagari used to use a preprocessor to add
> discretionary hyphens all over the place. I can replicate this with a
> Perl text filter but the input file becomes rather unreadable.

I'm attaching an example file illustrating how hyphenation patterns for
Devanagari could be loaded.

To try this out, you can build a new format "hplain.xfmt" that includes
these "hindi" patterns:

     % xeinitex -jobname=hplain \*plain \\input hindi-hyph-demo.tex
\\dump

This creates hplain.xfmt in the current directory.

Then, to try it out and prove that the patterns work as expected,
assuming you have the Hindi.tex sample from the XeTeX sample files
archive:

     % xetex \&hplain \\hsize=2in \\language=\\hindi \\input Hindi

(This sets the text in a narrow column, so as to force hyphenation to
occur. You can, of course, adjust all the usual TeX parameters to get
different effects.)

Note that this sample file just implements some simple rules based on
consonant/vowel clusters; I'm not claiming any real linguistic validity
for the hyphenation that results! I'll leave that up those of you who
actually know how Hindi (or whatever language you're using) should be
hyphenated....

Hope this helps,

Jonathan