[XeTeX] Hoefler italics and diacritics oddity

Musa Furber musaf at runbox.com
Tue Jun 22 13:33:16 CEST 2004

By the way, what I ended up doing is this:

1) I defined my standard Hoefler font family using
\DeclareFontFamily{U}{hoefl}{} and multiple calls to
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}...

2) I called \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefl} so this font family is
used as the default throughout the text.

3) I defined my alternative Hoefler font family as hoeflalt. This is
for the styles I might want to use instead of the ones declared above.

In (1), I declared the default  italic font shape using
	 "Hoefler Text Italic"
while in (3), I used
	"Hoefler Text Italic:Smart Swashes=!Line Final Swashes,!Line Initial
Swashes"}
to turn of the swashes. (Note: I have removed "\space " and replaced it
with just " " for easy reading.)

4) I declared the macro I use with text that needs to be transliterated:

\newcommand{\mfarab}[1]{%
\begingroup\fontfamily{hoeflalt}\selectfont\textit{#1}\endgroup}

This appears to do the trick, for me, at least.

Any suggestions on a better way to do this in LaTeX?

Thanks,
Musa