[XeTeX] XeTeX segmentation faults

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Thu Jun 17 12:06:21 CEST 2004

Hi Musa,

On 17/06/2004, at 1:31 PM, Musa Furber wrote:

>> \DeclareRobustCommand{\=}[1]{#1^^^^0304}
>>
>>> If I can get this one fixed, my conversion over to XeTeX with
>>> Hoefler should be finished, and I can start having fun. (Then
>>> again...)
>>
>> Does the above give any improvement ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Unfortunately, no. It does not appear to make difference.

OK; I've traced the reason why now.

Here's what you should use in the preamble:

   \expandafter\def\csname U\string\=\endcsname#1{#1^^^^0304}

Another way, almost equivalent, is to make a declaration
after Jonathan's definition:

   \def\=#1{#1^^^^0304}
   \expandafter\let\csname U\string\=\endcsname\=

That cryptic 2nd line declares how to handle the \= accenting macro,
when there is a font change with a U-encoded input stream.
Without this declaration, the pre-defined method appropriate to
OT1-encoded
input is used, so the redefined \= has no effect (except at \normalsize
in the \normalfont).

> What this naive-newbie ended up doing was a bunch of
>
> \newcommand{\mfA}{A^^^^0304}
> \newcommand{\mfa}{a^^^^0304}

If you know the real Unicode code-points for \mfA and \mfa,
then it should be possible to make the  U\=  macro use these.
(After all, this is what happens with T1 accents.)
I'll do some further tracing to see how this is achieved.

> macros, and then doing a global search-and-replace. Hopefully it is a
> temporary measure. It works, but it is ugly.

Sure, it's ugly.
You can forget that approach now.

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114