[XeTeX] Unicode in bib file?

J P Blevins jpb39 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 13:51:39 CEST 2004

Let me ask another question that others must have grappled with already.

Since the input to XeTeX is unicode, umlauted characters like ü must be
entered rather than the usual TeX \"{u}, etc. But how does one handle
accented characters in references? Running BibTeX on a .bib file with
\"{u} passes the wrong character to XeTeX, and gives errors like:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/AdobeGaramondPro/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 53.

Yet converting the .bib file to UTF-8 and entering accents directly
defeats BibTeX:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.2)
The top-level auxiliary file: aik2.aux
The style file: lsa.bst
Database file #1: bibx.bib
Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's buffer size 5000
Aborted at line 0 of file bibx.bib
(That was a fatal error)

Running BibTeX on files with \"{u} and then making the unicode accent
substitutions in the .bbl file provides a work-around, but has to be
repeated each time you run BibTeX.

Any better ideas? (I suppose that one could define a script that
substitutes unicode glyphs for some of the most common TeX expressions,
including those for dashes, quotes, accents, etc.)

Thanks,

-Jim