[XeTeX] ledmac in XeTeX?

Somadevah at aol.com Somadevah at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 13:55:13 CEST 2004

In a message dated 10/6/04 12:43:06 pm, jonathan_kew at sil.org writes:

> Yes; or else stick with standard TeX fonts for which there are tfm
> files and all that. You definitely can't expect things like plain TeX
> or LaTeX accent commands to work with AAT/OT fonts. Those commands not
> only require metrics that aren't available, they are also specific to
> the (idiosyncratic) font encodings of the old TeX fonts, and need to be
> redefined for different encoding schemes.

There are no accented characters at all in my doc., which is proper UTF-8.
(even the plain ledarden.tex sample file that comes with ledmac has spacing
problems, and that is plain English text). It just seems that the ledmac package
rebuilds the page in a rather complicated manner and requires to know the
character height etc. to do this. I can indeed revert to using my old .tfm fonts
for all of this, but then I lose the advantage of using XeTeX.   It seems to me
that XeTeX would be ideal for editing multilingual texts, and for that the
best critical editing macros are still edmac and ledmac. It would be great if
this could be used as they are.

Anyway, many thanks for the help.

Somadeva