[XeTeX] Latin Modern in XeTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 10 13:40:04 CEST 2004

On 10 Jun 2004, at 10:42 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 10 Jun 2004, at 6:35 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>> XeTeX doesn't know anything about .pfb files; is that your basic
>> problem? When xdv2pdf reads psfonts.map to help it locate font files,
>> it takes the base name of the .pfbs listed there and looks for a .otf
>> equivalent.
>
> Oh I get it now! (Mind flashes back to finding all of the `normal' pfb
> fonts converted to opentype...duh, how obvious.) May I ask what
> program you used to perform these conversions?

I ran a Python script in FontLab 4.6 to read the .pfb files and (in
some cases) rearrange the glyph list, and then generate the
.otf-packaged version of the font, along with a glyph names file; then
used ftxdumperfuser (from the Apple Font Tools suite) to put the glyph
names into the font's 'post' table so that xdv2pdf can apply .enc files
if necessary.

> Meanwhile, with a vanilla fontforged otf of lmr10.pfb in a /font/otf/
> directory, as well as in a /font/otf/xetex/public/lm/ one, xelatex
> gives me the following error:
>
> (/Users/will/Library/texmf/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd) [1] (./lm.aux)
> *** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cork-lmr10  )

Yup. Figures. xdv2pdf can't actually interpret the Type1 data to find
glyphs by name; in order to do encoding stuff it needs a 'post' table
that lists the glyphs (format 3 doesn't). See above.

You need that as-yet-unwritten document on XeTeX and fonts and
encodings and all that mess.........!

> So there looks to be some funny encoding going on. More investigation
> is required! I guess first I gotta work out how to make xelatex to
> look at the other encodings available.
>
> On a slightly different topic: one of my problems was that I was
> trying to typeset the Latin Modern fonts next to the CM ones to
> compare them, but I didn't know how to get them: \font\lmrpfb=lmr10 at
> 10pt didn't work because the tfm files were not the same name in order
> to cater for different encoding schemes. I solved this using the
> LaTeX2e command \DeclareFixedFont{\lmrpfb}{T1}{lmr}{m}{n}{10} ---
> anyone know of a way to do it in plain (Xe)TeX alone?

Seems like you should be able to do it; whatever you're doing in LaTeX
must ultimately result in a \font command at the TeX level. I don't
know how that's constructed from your declaration, though.

If there's a mismatch between the TFM name and the internal font name
that Apple Type Services sees (look in FontBook), you can use the
psfonts.map entry to deal with this.