[XeTeX] Latin Modern in XeTeX?

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Jun 10 11:42:32 CEST 2004

On 10 Jun 2004, at 6:35 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> XeTeX doesn't know anything about .pfb files; is that your basic
> problem? When xdv2pdf reads psfonts.map to help it locate font files,
> it takes the base name of the .pfbs listed there and looks for a .otf
> equivalent.

Oh I get it now! (Mind flashes back to finding all of the `normal' pfb
fonts converted to opentype...duh, how obvious.) May I ask what program
you used to perform these conversions?

Meanwhile, with a vanilla fontforged otf of lmr10.pfb in a /font/otf/
directory, as well as in a /font/otf/xetex/public/lm/ one, xelatex
gives me the following error:

(/Users/will/Library/texmf/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd) [1] (./lm.aux)
*** format 3 'post' table; cannot reencode font cork-lmr10  )

So there looks to be some funny encoding going on. More investigation
is required! I guess first I gotta work out how to make xelatex to look
at the other encodings available.

On a slightly different topic: one of my problems was that I was trying
to typeset the Latin Modern fonts next to the CM ones to compare them,
but I didn't know how to get them: \font\lmrpfb=lmr10 at 10pt didn't
work because the tfm files were not the same name in order to cater for
different encoding schemes. I solved this using the LaTeX2e command
\DeclareFixedFont{\lmrpfb}{T1}{lmr}{m}{n}{10} --- anyone know of a way
to do it in plain (Xe)TeX alone?

Thanks,
Will