[XeTeX] pool-size too small

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 28 14:38:27 CEST 2004

Chances are there are multiple texmf.cnf files on your system; this is
common, I believe. "kpsewhich texmf.cnf" only finds the "most local"
one, but TeX and friends actually read several .cnf files and collect
settings from them all, with the possibility of local settings
overriding generic ones.

On my Powerbook, I see three such files within the teTeX tree, as shown
by find:

[Kew-TiBook:~] jonathan% find /usr/local/teTeX -name texmf.cnf -print
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
[Kew-TiBook:~] jonathan%

pool_size (and many other things) are set in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, which is a standard TeX
Live .cnf file. But if I add a pool_size entry to
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf, that will take precedence, and will (I
think) survive a reinstallation of the main TeX package.

HTH,

Jonathan