[XeTeX] Re: New feature request for XeTeX

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Jul 27 04:21:57 CEST 2004

On 27/07/2004, at 4:31 AM, Somadevah at aol.com wrote:

>  In a message dated 26/7/04 4:45:59 pm, ross at ics.mq.edu.au writes:
>
> > If you need something more than a simple character code remapping for
>  > certain characters, perhaps those instances could be handled as
>  > \active characters in TeX, while the "mapping=...." option would
> allow
>  > you to remap the majority of simple characters without having to
>  > \activate just about everything. Reasonable compromise?
>
>  I suspect this might prove far more valuable than it first looks.
> Would it not allow one to remap from one script to another? So that
> one might type Hindi in unicode Roman transliteration and then be able
> to output it either as Roman transliterated text or Devanagari,
> depending on the "mapping" used for an environment?

Yes, indeed.
This is precisely one of the possible uses of a "font mapping".

Another, more mundane, is a simple solution for the "--" and "---"
  *lack of ligature* problem:

    "---" could be mapped to ^^^^2014 (em dash)
    "--"  could be mapped to ^^^^2013 (en dash)

and similarly for other TeX-specific ligature sequences.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114