[XeTeX] OS X fonts.

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sat Jul 24 22:12:12 CEST 2004

I am going to do a bit of figuring out for myself and digest all that
came my way before I reply to this and other posts. As I said, now that
I don't have the "can't find …" problem, the house is not on fire.

The issue I am now facing is whether TeXshop + XeTeX source can be
considered "transparent". ( I wasn't clear. I do know about pdf and, by
TeXShop's output I meant "source" rather than pdf. Sorry about that.)

Now the GNU Free Document License reads in part:

A "Transparent" copy of the Document means a machine-readable copy,
represented in a format whose specification is available to the
general public, that is suitable for revising the document
straightforwardly with generic text editors or (for images composed of
pixels) generic paint programs or (for drawings) some widely available
drawing editor, and that is suitable for input to text formatters or
for automatic translation to a variety of formats suitable for input
to text formatters.  A copy made in an otherwise Transparent file
format whose markup, or absence of markup, has been arranged to thwart
or discourage subsequent modification by readers is not Transparent.
An image format is not Transparent if used for any substantial amount
of text.  A copy that is not "Transparent" is called "Opaque"..

Examples of suitable formats for Transparent copies include plain
ASCII without markup, Texinfo input format, ****LaTeX input format****,
SGML
or XML using a publicly available DTD, and standard-conforming simple
HTML, PostScript or PDF designed for human modification.  Examples of
transparent image formats include PNG, XCF and JPG.  Opaque formats
include proprietary formats that can be read and edited only by
proprietary word processors, SGML or XML for which the DTD and/or
processing tools are not generally available, and the
machine-generated HTML, PostScript or PDF produced by some word
processors for output purposes only.

**** added by me.

I have a feeling that as soon as the source "contains XeTeX-specific
coding (such as the one [you] suggested for Futura Condensed Medium)",
the answer will be that the source is NOT transparent.

But, given that I am a raw beginner in TeX things, I would appreciate
real opinion(s).

Regards
--schremmer