[XeTeX] Using --, ---, ``, '' and ' with CM

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 21 20:30:26 CEST 2004

On 21 Jul 2004, at 6:44 pm, J. P. Blevins wrote:

> \renewcommand*{\encodingdefault}{U}
> \renewcommand*{\rmdefault}{AdobeGaramondPro}
> When these fonts are loaded, the CM math fonts are unaffected. But the
> text font declarations seem to disable text dashes, quotes, accents
> (which place umlauts far above vowels), etc.

I don't really understand much about the LaTeX font selection
mechanism, but I suspect that changing the \encodingdefault may well
affect things; that could well be why the ligatures and accents in CM
text fonts get disabled.

FWIW, this is not really a XeTeX problem, strictly speaking; I think
the actual XeTeX tool is working as it should. This looks like an issue
of understanding how to configure LaTeX fonts and encodings, with the
introduction of a new kind of fonts. (To check that XeTeX itself is
handling the fonts OK, try the Plain TeX test I suggested; I believe it
will work correctly.)

Jonathan