[XeTeX] dealing with $ character

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jul 8 09:00:22 CEST 2004

On 7 Jul 2004, at 11:40 pm, Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

> I actually found that \$ used the cm fonts to create the $ glyph and
> not Garamond Pro. That was my reason for starting the post about
> \textdollar a while ago. I guess it is the same issue as \" and
> friends.

Well, in plain TeX \$ is simply defined as \char"24, so it should print
a dollar sign in any normal font. But LaTeX may do something different
with it.

It's not quite the same issue as the accent commands; at least the
legacy TeX fonts support the standard character code for dollar, so a
definition such as \char"24 (or changing the \catcode so that $ simply
prints as itself) should access the right glyph in anything except
special legacy symbol fonts. The trouble with the accent commands is
that the CM fonts have accents at non-standard code positions and so
the macro definitions are inherently font-specific.

Jonathan