[XeTeX] First experiences with xetex and some bugs

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 4 16:39:44 CEST 2004

On Jul 4, 2004, at 9:20 AM, William Clocksin wrote:

> Xetex should appear to add to TeX, not diverge from it.  Lots of
> potential users have legacy files containing escape sequences and also
> need to share bibtex files. There is no reason why xetex should not
> support escape sequences.

Remember that the author of XeTeX doesn't use LaTeX even, so the design
decisions are not surprising.  It was never intended to be about
compatibility really.

Still, I think this points out why open sourcing xetex would be
valuable, as it would presumably better allow interested coders to add
to and enhance xetex without Jonathan having to do it himself (though I
guess Ross has managed to do some related TeX stuff without access to
the xetex source).

Bruce

PS - Would rather see margin-kerning and other such features as well.