[XeTeX] Long dash "--" in Latex

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 2 14:44:44 CEST 2004

On Jul 2, 2004, at 6:12 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> A problem can be that in every different language (every different Mac
> OS X localization) people will have a different notion of what are the
> most obvious spokes (i.e. the most obvious diacritics needing
> compatibility with TeX's standard input for them). And this could end
> up, in some way or another, like reimplementing Omega.

Exactly.  While I understand Ross' point, there just seems something
perverse about trying to workaround a major feature of XeTeX – that it
is unicode – to support a major limitation of regular TeX.

The only thing I personally value about TeX is its high-quality
typesetting.  There's a lot that is a mess about it.  I've had this
argument elsewhere though (for example, people wanting to support
character entities in XML document standards, which means one cannot
ever use anything but a DTD-based toolchain, with all of its
limitations), and realize YMMV.

Bruce