[XeTeX] Long dash "--" in Latex

Musa Furber musaf at runbox.com
Fri Jul 2 11:55:11 CEST 2004

On 2 Jul 2004, at 10:30, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 2 juil. 04, à 03:56, Musa Furber a écrit :
>
>> It seems beneficial to provide some sort of compatibility for some of
>> the more common LaTeX ligatures, such as `, ``, ', '', -, --, and
>> ---.
>
> But then you would also have to provide compatibility for accents like
> \'e = é, and quotes ` = ‘, ' = ’, etc., and \S = §, and probably many
> more like these, and it would end up like reinventing the wheel, isn't
> it?

Given my lack of knowledge and experience, I realize that my comments
must be severely discounted.

Anyway:

The ligatures I mentioned almost always have glyphs defined in the
fonts XeTeX will be using.

I wrote "more common" to remove the stranger things, even though this
removes things like the strange glyphs I use for transliterating
Arabic.

Perhaps it is a matter of just hooking the spokes up to the wheel, or
at least the more obvious spokes.

Regards,
Musa