[XeTeX] fontspec.sty and tipa.sty

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 30 02:03:36 CET 2004

I am using fontspec.sty for typesetting Arabic within tex, but I would
also like to use tipa.sty for providing phonetic transcriptions. I like
using tipa because I find it easier to use that most phonetic fonts
like the SIL fonts.

However, tipa and fontspec seem to clash: whenever I have
\usepackage{fontspec} declared, the Arabic font doesn't appear in the
output. here's an example of what the document looks like:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{gb4e}
%\usepackage{tipa}
\begin{exe}
\ex{{\fontspec[Scale=1.5]{Geeza Pro} عند جدار البيت ذات يوم}\\
        at the corner of the house that day}
\end{exe}

Can anyone recommend a way around this?

Thanks,

Fred

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."

-Donald Knuth

Frederick M. Hoyt
Linguistics Department