[XeTeX] Working with Arabic in xelatex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Dec 30 00:24:59 CET 2004

On 29 Dec 2004, at 10:36 pm, Frederick Hoyt wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying out Musa Furber's sample for using Arabic with xelatex:
>
> http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2004-July/000533.html
>
> I have XeTeX installed via Gerben Wierda's i-Installer, and at the
> moment am using Texshop as my frontend.
>
> There is a problem in that while the file generates without error
> messages, the output file is completely blank. The lack of error
> messages suggests that tex is finding the font(s) ok. Any suggestions?

Just a hunch.... could it be that you have TeXShop set to use an
encoding such as MacRoman or Latin1, rather than Unicode? If so, then
although the Arabic example looks fine when you paste it into the
TeXShop editor, when the file is saved it'll be written using an
encoding that doesn't support Arabic, and the characters are all lost
(actually, converted to '?'.... which in turn isn't supported by Geeza
Pro, and so appears blank).

One way to check: If you close and re-open the source file, is the
Arabic text still intact?