[XeTeX] fontspec limits

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Dec 17 10:20:29 CET 2004

On 17 Dec 2004, at 5:56 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> Hi
>
> It's been on my list of things to do (actually, I never wrote it down,
> but it's been in the back of my head) to see how many times I can run
> \fontspec before something goes wrong.
>
> After being run for the first time, a fontspec command with constant
> arguments does little except choose the already defined font. The
> problem is that you can only call the \font command so many times
> before XeTeX bottoms out, and this is necessary in the current version
> of the package every time \fontspec is called. This minimal example
> fails somewhere near the end:

Thanks for bringing this up, I hadn't tried such a loop. I notice that:

    \newcount\zfcount
    \loop\advance\zfcount by 1
    \font\1=cmr10 \1
    font test \number\zfcount\endgraf
    \ifnum\zfcount < 2000 \repeat
    \end

works fine (i.e., repeatedly specifying a tfm-based font), but a
similar example with an AAT font fails:

    \newcount\zfcount
    \loop\advance\zfcount by 1
    \font\1="Times Roman" \1
    font test \number\zfcount\endgraf
    \ifnum\zfcount < 2000 \repeat
    \end

I'd consider this a XeTeX bug, and will see what I can do to correct it.