[XeTeX] xelatex problem after new 2003 setup of GWTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Dec 15 11:21:09 CET 2004

On 15 Dec 2004, at 10:10 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 15 déc. 04, à 10:09, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> - Have you tried completely removing the whole teTeX system
>> (everything under /usr/local/teTeX) and installing a new gwTeX +
>> XeTeX setup from scratch?
>
> I've just done that: removing completely /usr/local/teTeX (using
> i-Installer's Uninstall and checking everything for removal), then
> reinstalling gwTeX (TL2004 version) then XeTeX. The bug is still
> there. The only difference I can see is that my previous TL2004
> install, not displaying the bug, corresponded to the i-Package of 16
> November, while the current TL2004 install, displaying the bug, is the
> most recent one, corresponding to the i-Package of 2 December.
>
> According to the i-Package's ReadMe, the changes between the two
> versions are:
>
>> 2004/12/01:
>> • Fixed bug in new code for creating the /Library/teTeX symbolic link
>> 2004/11/28:
>> • Increased default font_mem_max to 2000000 in both TL2003 an TL2004
>> based TeX
>> • Modified some other default memory parameters
>> 2004/11/22:
>> • Fix for teTeX texmf problems with running pdfetex in DVI mode. See
>> the file pdftex-dvi.tex for details.
>> • Bugfix in configure script: in two places the non-TL2003/2004
>> fmtutil.cnf was still being used.
>
> Could font_mem_max be the culprit (since the bug seems to affect both
> TL2003 and TL2004)?

Hard to see why it should be a problem, but why not try changing it
back?

I'm also curious about:

>> • Modified some other default memory parameters

Wonder if there's something there triggering the bug. Can someone
restore an older texmf.cnf and see what changed, and whether going back
to older settings affects the issue?

If I can find time, I'll try installing a new gwTeX+XeTeX here and see
if the bug will show up for me; obviously something is broken and I
need to get to the root of it.