[XeTeX] `tolerance for underfull \hbox' was `xelatex problem after new 2003 setup'

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Mon Dec 13 19:21:35 CET 2004

All,

I found that the following worked in the preamble

\tolerance 1414
\hbadness=1414
\emergencystretch 1.5em
\hfuzz=.03pt
\widowpenalty=10000
\vfuzz \hfuzz

I have not had any problems with documents using this. However, I would
like to know why some of us experience this and others don't. I am
especially curious since I didn't used to have this problem, but now I
do. What brought it about...?

On Dec 13, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2004, at 2:52 pm, Robert Voogdgeert wrote:
>
>> Dear Jonathan, Jon, Will, and Adam,
>>

>> Thanks for all the responses. The overfull \hbox problems are no
>> problem with the work-around. The
>> underfull \hboxes still do though. So, what is the command to set the
>> tolerance for underfull \hbox?
>>

> If you say
>
> \hbadness = 10000
>
> this should suppress the warning messages about underfull \hboxes.
> (It's a standard TeX parameter.)
>
> JK

The simplest schoolboy is now familiar with facts for which Archimedes
would have sacrificed his life. (Ernest Renan)

Jon Breitenbucher
The College of Wooster
308 E. University
Wooster, Ohio 44691