[XeTeX] XeTeX and TeX Live 2004

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Dec 6 17:21:01 CET 2004

On 6 Dec 2004, at 4:16 pm, Jan Eden wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote on 06.12.2004:
>
>> On 6 Dec 2004, at 4:00 pm, Jan Eden wrote:
>>
>>> My self-defined document classes are all set up for A4 paper. I did
>>> not expect xdv2pdf to refer to the OS X printing system, but in any
>>> case: my system settings use A4, too.
>>
>> It's supposed to, but apparently this must not be working for you.
>> (Are you running 10.3.x?)
>>
> Yes, 10.3.6.
>
>>> But this is really a minor issue, I can live with manually using
>>> the -papersize / -p argument.
>>
>> You could include this in a TeXShop "engine" file or similar script,
>> depending on your working environment.
>>
> I am actually calling xelatex from within a Perl script, so I only
> have to include the argument once.
>
> XeTeX actually allowed me to write this script which automates letter
> generation for my workgroup via a webbrowser, because I hesitated to
> convert two more fonts for use with the traditional TeX font system.

Aha, I wonder.... could the OS X default paper size setting be a
per-user rather than per-machine preference? If so, you'd need to set
it to A4 for the "www" user (or whoever executes your CGI script), in
order to get the right default there.

Do you get A4 by default if you run XeTeX as your normal user rather
than via the browser?