[XeTeX] Missing output from xelatex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Dec 2 17:22:25 CET 2004

On 2 Dec 2004, at 3:47 pm, Jan Eden wrote:

> The font is not found if user jan is not logged in. But as you
> suspected, it can obviously be accessed by any user as long as jan is
> logged in. Strange logic, since everything in my home folder (except
> for Shared) should belong to me and only to me.

The font activation APIs on OS X allow the activating process to
specify a "global" or "local" context. "Local" makes the font available
only to the application doing the activation; "global", it seems, is
truly "global" -- all applications, all users.

So when the Finder (or LoginWindow, or whatever) activates the fonts
from Users/jan/Fonts, it clearly has to use a Global context, so that
all the other apps you run can use those fonts. But this means the
fonts are also available to all other users. Yes, it does seem strange!

I'll try filing a bug report with Apple and see if there's any comment
from their side.