[XeTeX] XeTeX features, was fontspec 1.5

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Dec 2 12:08:58 CET 2004

On 2 Dec 2004, at 7:35 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2004, at 12:37 am, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> Actually, if the OpenType library XeTeX uses supported the 'size'
>> property, it might be able to do this automatically.
>
> I don't know anything about that, but it sounds interesting.... is
> there some place I can find out about 'size' in OT?

The Adobe spec is the only place I heard about it:
<http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/
index_tag8.html#size>
(I stumbled across it when looking at the feature tags of some OpenType
fonts.)

> How would you like to see this provided? Something like
> \XeTeXfontavailable <fontname>, returning 0 if the font can't be found
> and 1 if it can? Or should we go further, and define return values to
> indicate whether the font would be rendered via ATSUI or OpenType?

What happens if the font is neither ATSUI or OpenType (some
hypothetical future)? Is that something that we need to worry about
now?

I like both ideas, really. I'd probably be inclined to keep the two
functions separate, but for writing my package I can see the appeal of
combining them. Maybe I do prefer the latter.

I don't know! :)

Will