[XeTeX] fontspec 1.5

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Dec 2 01:37:51 CET 2004

Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

> Is there a way to allow this mechanism to select the Caption, Regular,
> Subhead, and Display fonts for a specified size range? Something like
>
> \fontspec[<-8.9>={Warnock Pro Caption}]{Warnock Pro}
> \fontspec[<9-13>={Warnock Pro}]{Warnock Pro}
> \fontspec[<13.1-24>={Warnock Pro Subhead}]{Warnock Pro}
> \fontspec[<24.1->={Warnock Pro Display}]{Warnock Pro}

Hi Jon

Sorry, fontspec is still not up to the task of automating your Adobe
Type Classics work!

Next time I work up a big change to the package, this is first or second
on my list of things to do. When I implement it, I'm going to try and
check automatically if fonts exist ending in " Caption", " Subhead",
etc., and if so add in the optical sizes.

Actually, if the OpenType library XeTeX uses supported the 'size'
property, it might be able to do this automatically.

This reminds me. Jonathan, if you're listening, would you consider
adding in a feature to XeTeX to query if a font is available through OS
X? I tried your testfontavailability.tex macros, but they don't seem an
optimal solution to me (I think I had some troubles, but I can't
remember what).

Back to fontspec, for complex font definitions like optical sizes and
different weights, I should be able to extend the fontspec option syntax:

\fontspec
   [BoldFont={Skia Regular},BoldOptions={Weight=2,Width=1}]%
   {Skia Regular}

fontspec
   [OpticalSize={<-9>,Warnock Pro Caption},
    OpticalSize={<9-13>,Warnock Pro},
    OpticalSize={<13-24>,Warnock Pro Subhead},
    OpticalSize={<24->,Warnock Pro Display}]%
   {Warnock Pro}

That first one's a bit messy, though.
But it's not going to be as easy to add these features to my package,
and I'm not planning to work on fontspec until I get some work done on
my research.

Best of luck
Will