[XeTeX] Old Persian

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Aug 29 20:45:01 CEST 2004

On 29 Aug 2004, at 6:01 pm, Yves Codet wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot Code2001:
> 	http://home.att.net/~jameskass/code2001.htm
> which is a free Unicode font. It does contain Old Persian but I am
> unable to find at which code points.

Code2001 contains some Old Persian glyphs (or so they look, to my
ignorant eye), encoded at U+F0300 and upwards (i.e., Plane 15
supplemental private use codes). Note that to access them via character
codes in XeTeX using the \char or ^^^^ notations, you'd have to give
the two UTF-16 surrogate values (as XeTeX deals with UTF-16 codes);
thus, the following test should display the glyphs for you:

% -- cut here --
\font\opers="Code2001" at 12pt
\opers

^^^^db80^^^^df80 % U+F0300 ��
^^^^db80^^^^df81
^^^^db80^^^^df82
^^^^db80^^^^df83
^^^^db80^^^^df84
^^^^db80^^^^df85
^^^^db80^^^^df86
^^^^db80^^^^df87
^^^^db80^^^^df88
^^^^db80^^^^df89
^^^^db80^^^^df8a
^^^^db80^^^^df8b
^^^^db80^^^^df8c
^^^^db80^^^^df8d
^^^^db80^^^^df8e
^^^^db80^^^^df8f

^^^^db80^^^^df90 % U+F0310 ��
^^^^db80^^^^df91
^^^^db80^^^^df92
^^^^db80^^^^df93
^^^^db80^^^^df94
^^^^db80^^^^df95
^^^^db80^^^^df96
^^^^db80^^^^df97
^^^^db80^^^^df98
^^^^db80^^^^df99
^^^^db80^^^^df9a
^^^^db80^^^^df9b
^^^^db80^^^^df9c
^^^^db80^^^^df9d
^^^^db80^^^^df9e
^^^^db80^^^^df9f

^^^^db80^^^^dfa0 % U+F0320 ��
^^^^db80^^^^dfa1
^^^^db80^^^^dfa2
^^^^db80^^^^dfa3
^^^^db80^^^^dfa4
^^^^db80^^^^dfa5
^^^^db80^^^^dfa6
^^^^db80^^^^dfa7
^^^^db80^^^^dfa8
^^^^db80^^^^dfa9
^^^^db80^^^^dfaa
^^^^db80^^^^dfab
^^^^db80^^^^dfac
^^^^db80^^^^dfad
^^^^db80^^^^dfae
^^^^db80^^^^dfaf

^^^^db80^^^^dfb0 % U+F0330 ��
^^^^db80^^^^dfb1
^^^^db80^^^^dfb2
^^^^db80^^^^dfb3
^^^^db80^^^^dfb4
^^^^db80^^^^dfb5
^^^^db80^^^^dfb6
^^^^db80^^^^dfb7
^^^^db80^^^^dfb8
^^^^db80^^^^dfb9
^^^^db80^^^^dfba
^^^^db80^^^^dfbb
^^^^db80^^^^dfbc
^^^^db80^^^^dfbd
^^^^db80^^^^dfbe
^^^^db80^^^^dfbf

^^^^db80^^^^dfc0 % U+F0340 ��
^^^^db80^^^^dfc1
^^^^db80^^^^dfc2
^^^^db80^^^^dfc3
^^^^db80^^^^dfc4
^^^^db80^^^^dfc5
^^^^db80^^^^dfc6
^^^^db80^^^^dfc7
^^^^db80^^^^dfc8
^^^^db80^^^^dfc9
^^^^db80^^^^dfca
^^^^db80^^^^dfcb
^^^^db80^^^^dfcc
^^^^db80^^^^dfcd
^^^^db80^^^^dfce
^^^^db80^^^^dfcf

\bye
% -- cut here --

(Some of these character code positions are empty.)

If you create a source document containing these characters, and save
it as UTF-8, I believe XeTeX should handle them just like any other
Unicode values, though I haven't tried that personally.

Note that the characters available in Code2001 don't appear to exactly
match the collection which is in the pipeline for addition to
Unicode/ISO 10646. I'm guessing it is based on an earlier version of
the Old Persian proposal than was ultimately accepted for encoding. So
you need to be just as wary of encoding data using these characters as
any other non-standard inventory.