[XeTeX] misplaced combining diacritical marks

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sun Aug 29 10:30:39 CEST 2004

Hi Jonathan,

On 29/08/2004, at 5:57 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2004, at 1:41 am, Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> The problem lies with the  \fontname  primitive, as you can see from
>> these snippets from a .log file, which show the name associated with
>> the current font, as referenced by \font :

>> I think it will be easier to patch  \fontname  in the TeX application
>> (i.e. XeTeX),
>> rather than try to parse the syntax of font names within (La)TeX
>> macro code.
>>
>> If this is done, then the existing LaTeX coding should  ssub  fine.
>
> Thanks for the analysis, Ross; this sounds like a workable fix. Having
> no idea how LaTeX font selection and substitution works, I hadn't
> considered that \fontname could be relevant; I just assumed it would
> use the shape declarations "from scratch".
>
> I'll aim to fix \fontname in this way for the next update of XeTeX.
> (Hope to get one out soon, as I have a couple of other fixes in place
> too.)

I've found another way to work around the problem, with a LaTeX
definition.
By putting this in the preamble:

\makeatletter
\def\do at subst@correction{%
         \xdef\subst at correction{\font at name
           \global\let\csname\curr at fontshape/\f at size\endcsname\font at name
           \relax}%
       \aftergroup\subst at correction
}
\makeatother

then for an  ssub  LaTeX now constructs a rebinding of the type:

   \global\let \U/trebuchet/bx/n/10.95  \U/trebuchet/b/n/10.95

(where those macro-names actually use \csname....\endcsname )

instead of a new \font declaration of the type:

   \font \U/trebuchet/bx/n/10.95  "Trebuchet MS Bold" at 10.95pt

I don't know whether there are any bad side-effects of the above hack.
So I still think patching  \fontname  internally is the best solution.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114