[XeTeX] misplaced combining diacritical marks

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Aug 28 16:44:30 CEST 2004

Le 28 août 04, à 13:16, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> It looks to me as though substitution specifications such as
>
> 	\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{bx}{n}%
>     	 {<-> ssub * DoulosSIL/m/n}{}
>
> fail when the original font name included spaces. The quotes from the
> original declaration
>
> 	\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{m}{n}%
> 	     {<-> "Doulos\space SIL"}{}
>
> are getting lost somewhere, so that the underlying \font command
> generated when you use bold (or italic, etc) uses the name "Doulos
> SIL" but without the quotes. That, of course, looks to XeTeX like a
> request for a font just called "Doulos".

I don't think there are any problems with font substitution (in LaTeX's
NFSS sense) when the original font name contains a space. For example I
use customarily now:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{trebuchet}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{m}{n}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{m}{it}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{bx}{n}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS\space Bold"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{b}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * trebuchet/bx/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{bx}{it}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS\space Bold\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{b}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * trebuchet/bx/it}{}

> A workaround would be to give the actual font name for all shapes,
> instead of using "ssub". Or maybe one of the LaTeX experts can figure
> out what's going on inside the LaTeX font mechanism, and tell us a
> better way to fix it.

I just downloaded the font and will look at the issue later today or
tomorrow. Previously I had "chickened out" when seeing fields for
registration information at the top of the Download page for the Doulos
SIL Font, but looking closer at the page now I realize registration is
not required, thus I just went forward.

Bruno