[XeTeX] misplaced combining diacritical marks

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Aug 28 13:16:10 CEST 2004

On 28 Aug 2004, at 10:14 am, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 26 août 04, à 13:51, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>

>> Have you tried "Doulos\space SIL\space Regular" instead? I haven't
>> tried to download it yet, but the web page of the Doulos SIL Font
>> mentions the typeface Doulos SIL Regular. You can check in Font Book
>> (Livre des polices in the French OS), looking at "Nom d'affichage"
>> (probably Display Name) for this font.
>>

> I tried this too but I got a similar error message. What is weird is
> that plainXeTeX finds the font if called as "Doulos SIL". I have no
> clue.

"Doulos SIL" is the correct name (as verified by a simple Plain TeX
test); this corresponds to the "Display Name" shown by Font Book.

It looks to me as though substitution specifications such as

	\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{bx}{n}%
     	 {<-> ssub * DoulosSIL/m/n}{}

fail when the original font name included spaces. The quotes from the
original declaration

	\DeclareFontShape{U}{DoulosSIL}{m}{n}%
	     {<-> "Doulos\space SIL"}{}

are getting lost somewhere, so that the underlying \font command
generated when you use bold (or italic, etc) uses the name "Doulos SIL"
but without the quotes. That, of course, looks to XeTeX like a request
for a font just called "Doulos".

A workaround would be to give the actual font name for all shapes,
instead of using "ssub". Or maybe one of the LaTeX experts can figure
out what's going on inside the LaTeX font mechanism, and tell us a
better way to fix it.