[XeTeX] True Type vs Type 1

Atip Asvanund atip at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 18 07:05:49 CEST 2004

Panther has built-in Lucida Bright in the True Type format. I have also
purchased Lucida Bright from YandY, which is in Type 1. I use XeTeX to
generate a document using True Type Lucida Bright. Then, I use regular TeX
to generate the same document using YandY Lucida Bright.

When using Acrobat to view the two results on screen, I get strikingly
different results. The Type 1 version of Lucida Bright looks much better
than True Type. I read on YandY that Type 1 has easier hinting than True
Type, and I assume that this may be the explanation?

What is stranger is, however, when I compare the two files using Preview.
True Type Lucida Bright looks suddenly almost the same quality as Type 1.
Preview displays True Type much better than Acrobat does.

Even though on screen they look different, they all print at the same
quality.

So, is it that Preview has better capacity for displaying True Type on
screen? Or is it that Preview uses the Lucida Bright on my computer rather
than the embeded Lucida Bright in the PDF. I am concerned about this
because I would like to use XeTeX to generate documents using True Type
fonts (not just Lucida Bright) to be viewed by those on Windows, who are
stuck with Acrobat.

Thank you,

Atip