[XeTeX] XeTeX error message

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Apr 26 15:35:52 CEST 2004

Regarding opening documents in TeXShop, the likeliest cause I know of
for a document appearing to open without text is that you have a legacy
document in an encoding such as MacRoman, containing characters from
the upper half of the character set (>0x7F), and you try to open it in
TeXShop as UTF-8. This is very likely to fail, because there are likely
to be byte sequences in the legacy text that are not valid UTF-8
sequences.

I wish TeXShop would give a suitable error message in this situation,
rather than just silently refusing to read the text, though.

Jonathan