[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Apr 22 10:12:22 CEST 2004

For PDF figures, you really want to be using \pdffile (which will do
true PDF inclusion) rather than \picfile (which will use the QuickTime
graphic import APIs, which amounts to loading the PDF into a bitmap
image).

I wonder: is there any reason NOT to make \picfile automatically use
the PDF APIs in preference to QuickTime if the graphic is a PDF
document? There may not be any real need for two separate primitives.
(Note, though, that currently \pdffile recognizes an additional keyword
'page' that isn't available with \picfile.)

Jonathan