[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 21 23:11:48 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 2:38 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Regarding the conversion of CM fonts, for getting correctly encoded
> OTF fonts, did you use PfaEdit (FontForge) also, or did you switch to
> another tool?

I originally used PfaEdit, for the fonts that were included with 0.3;
but (at least with the version I used, which may not have been totally
current), this led to problems with the fonts in Acrobat, and the fact
that something was seriously amiss could be seen if you installed those
fonts in /Library/Fonts and tried to use them in TextEdit.

The fonts included with the 0.4 installer were processed with FontLab
instead, and seem to work more consistently. However, things are still
fragile, as XeTeX is not accessing the fonts through the normal
encoding vectors. I'm looking at the possibility of supporting the
dvips font map and encoding files, as a more robust approach to these
fonts.

Jonathan