[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Apr 21 18:33:40 CEST 2004

At 18:10 21/04/2004, you wrote:

The reason is that \picfile is based on the QuickTime Graphic Import APIs,
which are specifically for still images, not movies.

>>>Can it be made to work ?
>>
>>I have to admit I hadn't considered embedding movies in TeX documents,
>>but perhaps it's something to investigate. I have no idea whether that
>>can be done through CoreGraphics imaging to PDF, though. In fact, I don't
>>even know if one can embed movies within PDFs at all; anyone have any
>>information about this?
>
>It can be done with Acrobat (Pro), so yes it is possible.
>Other TeX-based methods only work by embedding a link to the
>movie as an external file. It would be nice to have a reliable
>way of including the movie within the PDF itself, using TeX.

FYI: I never really got embedding working (that is, embedding resources;
attachment work fine); somehow there are subtle interactions with placement
annotations. One problem is that each new version of pdf has a change in
specs/support for widgets of that kind. (decoupling of text annotations and
its rendering, same for multimedia); I got multimedia working but esp file
embedding is not only related to the OS, but also to mime types, plugins,
order of initializations, etc

Hans