[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 21 17:53:13 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 4:26 pm, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>

> On 21/04/2004, at 3:17 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> * height and width keywords for \picfile and \pdffile were not working
>
> Yes --- but now there is a problem with  'rotated'
>    the box is wrong, not enclosing the image correctly:

Oops! I suppose it would be hoping for too much to suppose that I could
fix several bugs without breaking anything in the process. ;-)

If you don't mind, I'll hold this one for a few days while I finish
some work on font-related issues (better font name and encoding
support).

>  \picfile  doesn't work with movies, even though QuickTime runs them.
> Is there a good reason for this ?

The reason is that \picfile is based on the QuickTime Graphic Import
APIs, which are specifically for still images, not movies.

> Can it be made to work ?

I have to admit I hadn't considered embedding movies in TeX documents,
but perhaps it's something to investigate. I have no idea whether that
can be done through CoreGraphics imaging to PDF, though. In fact, I
don't even know if one can embed movies within PDFs at all; anyone have
any information about this?

If it is indeed possible, I think I'd implement a separate \movie (or
\XeTeXmovie, given the recent discussion re extension names) primitive,
rather than extending \picfile.

> Thanks a bunch for this version.
> Much is fixed, but there are still a few problems.

Indeed there are--that's no surprise! I'll try to keep the problem
count heading down rather than up, at least. :-)

Jonathan