[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 17:26:52 CEST 2004

Hi Jonathan,

On 21/04/2004, at 3:17 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I've posted a new version of XeTeX, the Unicode-based TeX for OS X; see
>
> 	http://scripts.sil.org/xetex/
>
> This fixes a number of reported bugs:
> * incorrect setting of \mathchar values

  Yes.

> * height and width keywords for \picfile and \pdffile were not working

Yes --- but now there is a problem with  'rotated'
    the box is wrong, not enclosing the image correctly:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
  \centerline{\framebox{\picfile "xetex.jpg" scaled 500 rotated 45}}

  \centerline{\framebox{\picfile "xetex.jpg" width 3cm rotated 30}%
   \framebox{\picfile "xetex.jpg" height 5cm width 2cm rotated 75}}%

\centerline{\framebox{%
  \picfile "xetex.jpg"  width 5cm height 2cm scaled 500}}
\end{document}

  ... where  xetex.jpg  is your logo.

> * fclose() error messages related to font loading

Yes.

> * excessively large PDF file generation when using TFM-based (rather
> than AAT) fonts
> * bad OTF encoding prevented Acrobat viewing output with TFM-based
> fonts
>
> It also adds a couple of new features:
> * driver support for \special{x:textcolorpush/pop} and
> \special{x:rulecolorpush/pop}

Yes.  My  xetex.def  uses the push/pop mechanism by default,
but it can be turned-off, using  \noXeTeXcolorstack  for those
special cases where color stacks may not work properly.

> * precompiled LaTeX format (xelatex.xfmt) is included, and xelatex
> link to executable is installed

Nice.

  \picfile  doesn't work with movies, even though QuickTime runs them.
Is there a good reason for this ?
Can it be made to work ?

> Note that the installer scripts are known to be fragile, and may fail
> to find the proper directories for installation on setups that differ
> significantly from a standard teTeX/gwTeX installation. Look in
> /tmp/xetex-install/ for clues if installation fails.
>
> I'd be happy to receive suggestions for better approaches to
> installation, from those more familiar with the various ways a TeX
> system on OS X may be configured.

Thanks a bunch for this version.
Much is fixed, but there are still a few problems.

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114