[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 21 13:31:08 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 11:50 am, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 11:14 21/04/2004, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> Very good, Bruno, I think you got everything (except that XeTeX isn't
>> responsible for the xmltex link that your ls shows!)
>>
>> Hans, I'd have thought that after a normal install, "which xetex" and
>> "kpsewhich xetex.pool" should have located things for you, unless
>> your default path doesn't find the tex binaries.
>
> The problem is that i don't use the normal tetex setup (so, no tex
> under user and so); i run multiple trees and have my own setup.
>
> (btw, it would be handy if texshop had an option for handling that:
> running a shell script before each run that initializes my own tree
> setup)

I think you should be able to do this using the "Personal script"
options; instead of putting "xetex" as the name of the "TeX program",
for example, you'd put the name of a shell script of your own, which
can do your setup and then call the actual tool.

> Thanks for all the answers (bruno, ross, etc). I now know a few more
> apple tricks and can make a context format -)
>
> Just wondering: how about making dvipdfmx xetex aware? that would give
> a lot of pdf goodies.

My guess is that it wouldn't be all that easy to merge the XeTeX AAT
font support stuff with existing tools such as dvipdfmx (or pdfTeX)
that write their own PDF. In order to get AAT font behavior, we have to
hand strings off to ATSUI TextLayout APIs. So xdv2pdf doesn't really
know anything about PDF generation; it knows how to render in a Quartz
graphics context (using ATSUDrawTextLayout and similar functions), and
it simply requests a graphics context with a PDF destination. But that
means the whole PDF-writing process isn't really in my hands, it's deep
inside CoreGraphics.

I suppose it would be possible to create the ATSUI layout objects and
then retrieve the final laid-out glyph arrays, and then incorporate
these into a PDF stream being generated directly by the tool rather
than by CoreGraphics. But this would be a considerably more complex
job, and one that I don't have the PDF expertise (or the time) to get
involved with at the moment. If somebody is keen to try developing an
alternate xdv-to-pdf tool (or extending an existing dvi-to-pdf one)
along these lines, though, I'd be happy to talk further about it.

>  Also, with regards to supporting things like this:
>
> - \pdffile is a bad name, since it may exist in macro packages, so:
> \xtxpdffile (xtex is taken by generic pdftex extensions)
> - same for \picfile: \xtxpicfile

How do other people feel about command names for extensions like this?
In principle, of course, any name might exist in macro packages, but
using a prefix like that would obviously make clashes much less likely.
But on the other hand, these are commands that users may actually type
at times, and it's more pleasant to use (IMO) if such commands have
"natural" names.

Not all extensions have historically used such prefixes. For example,
MLTeX gave us things like \charsubdef, not \mlxcharsubdef; and e-TeX
gave us \currentgrouptype, \fontcharwd, and even \middle (easy to
imagine that in someone's macros).

I'm not strongly committed one way or the other on this; I'm certainly
willing to consider changing the names at this stage. I'd be glad to
hear other opinions.

> It may be there (i didn't look inti the pool file yet):
>
> - \xtxversion is needed as well

Yes, that would be a good idea. Expect it shortly! :-)

Jonathan