[XeTeX] LaTeX access

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 21 03:09:01 CEST 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 8:27 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Furthermore, this structure is sufficiently simple that everyone
> on this list can create such files for the fonts that they use.
>
> The  aatfonts.sty  file should collect definitions for the styles
> that we all encounter.
> Then with a suitably mature collection of definitions, packages
> and .fd  files, we present this to the LaTeX team to include
> in their next update.

Hey Ross -- sounds like a good plan!

I'm still trying to understand how I'd setup LaTeX to handle, for
example, the different figure types.

Let's say, for example, I want to use the amsart class, in which the
article title is uppercased.

So, I want a roman default of Hoefler Text with the default old-style
figures with proportional spacing.

I want the article title to use the upper case numbers, however,
because it looks really odd not to, for tables to use the tabular
figures,  etc.

(I really think there ought to be a default .sty file that does just
this, in fact.)

LaTeX (and ConTeXt) have no concept of number case per se.  Would one
have to define them as separate families (hoef-osf-p, hoef-osf-m,
etc.)?

Skia adds the additional complexity of variations, of course.
Presumably each variation would be a separate family too?

Bruce