[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] so, what to do about fonts? (was XeTeX)

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 15 15:31:00 CEST 2004

Joonathan asked:

>> What's the best way to have Mac fonts like Hoefler Text, Gill Sans,
>> etc. work "out of the box" for Mac OS X TeX users?
>
> The answer may depend partly on what you mean by "work"; the basic
> ability to access one default glyph for each supported character, or
> the ability to make use of the potentially complex AAT behavior in
> some of the fonts? "Work" like they work in Word, or "work" like they
> work in TextEdit?

"Work" like they do in TextEdit, with the additional power of TeX
macros.  So, per previous post, I want a macro that automatically gets
me:

	-	different variants of Skia for headings and captions, using the
lining numerals for the former
	-	Hoefler Text, 10pt, with OsF for text.
	-	Skia OsF with monospacing for tables

On Apr 15, 2004, at 9:05 AM, William F. Adams wrote:

> All we have to do is wait or Jonathan to nail down some minor niggling
> issues, bundle the source, work up a script to build a LaTeX format
> and provide LaTeX (and other) packages/macros for using the fonts all
> in an iInstaller package.
>
> I'll do that right after I finish the TUG2003 proceedings if no one
> beats me to it. No one commented on my \typespecification idea --- is
> there no room for improvement? Or did it seem not workable?
>
> An interesting idea would be to try to have a unified or parallel
> system for making them work in LaTeX and Context, so one could extend
> things to have:
>
> \typespecification[latex, text, 11pt, old-style figures]{HoeflerText}
>
> or
>
> \typespecification[context, verse, 12pt, rebusligatures]{Zapfino}

Ah ... now we're talking.  Adam (who's done a lot with opentype fonts
on ConTeXt) is now on the list.  Adam and Hans?

Bruce