[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bruno.voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Apr 15 08:20:11 CEST 2004

Le 15 avr. 04, à 03:52, Ross Moore a écrit :

>   4.  fclose: Bad file descriptor   problem.  (Is this just cosmetic ?)
>
>        When \dump-ing the format in 3. this happens for
>              cmr5.tfm  cmmi5.tfm  cmbf5.tfm
>        (but not cmsy5.tfm or for any other design-sizes).
>
>        With LaTeX jobs it happens for some .fd files and .tfm files,
>        in particular whem AMS packages are loaded.

I get this error when attempting to launch fonts LaTeX-style.

The LaTeX format is created by:

1. Running "xeinitex -jobname=xelatex latex.ltx".

2. Moving the created xelatex.xfmt to
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/.

3. From /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/, running "ln
-s xetex xelatex" to create a symlink xelatex to xetex.

4. Running "sudo texhash".

5. In TeXShop, defining xelatex to be the personal LaTeX script.

The LaTeX input file contains:

%%%% Begin file %%%%

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{hoefl}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{n}%
      {<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{it}%
      {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{bx}{n}%
      {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{b}{n}%
      {<-> ssub * hoefl/bx/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{bx}{it}%
      {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{b}{it}%
      {<-> ssub * hoefl/bx/it}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{sc}%
      {<-> "Hoefler\space Text:Letter\space Case=Small\space Caps"}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefl}

\begin{document}

Normal text.

\textbf{Bold text}.

\textit{Italic text}.

\textbf{\textit{Bold italic text}}.

\textsc{Small caps text}.

\end{document}

%%%% End file %%%%

It appears that every font switch produces a "fclose: Bad file
descriptor problem" message, without affecting the output apparently.

I think Ross has a better, more systematic, way of providing font names
to LaTeX, not using the \space command and based instead on turning
font names into commands:

\expandafter\let\csname OT1+lugr\endcsname\empty
{\catcode`\"=11\obeyspaces\gdef\LuGrande{"Lucida Grande"}}
\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{lugr}{m}{n}{<->\LuGrande}{}

By the way, is there a way to get A4 output from XeTeX? "xetex
-papersize=a4" produces no error message ("xetex -papersize=A4" or
"xetex -papersize=a4paper" do) but the output (= the margins) still
don't correspond to those expected for A4 paper.

>   7.  support for  scaling/rotations/clipping etc. of imported
> graphics.
>        How much of the \includegraphics  from  graphicx.sty
>        can be supported, for a  xetex.def  driver file ?
>
> Given an interface via  \special syntax, I can write appropriate
> driver files:  xetex.def   (for color/graphics)
>           and  hxetex.def  (for hyperref)

I think XeTeX's \picfile is not build upon \special, it uses its own
mechanism for including graphics.

Regarding rotation, TeXgX, upon which XeTeX seems to be based, had a
command \rotbox, for rotating text, which is no longer present in
XeTeX, so maybe there is a problem for doing the same in XeTeX? (I
didn't use TeXgX myself, as I didn't install GX font technology on any
of the Mac I ever used, I just had a look at the TeXgX distribution
following the release of XeTeX.)

Bruno Voisin