[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Apr 13 22:11:05 CEST 2004

Final message from me on this I promise!

I just tried XeTeX on an old document of mine: it's a relatively simple
4-pages document, using the plain format and only CM fonts (the basic
ones
for the plain format + cmbsy5,7,10). There's nothing special about this
document, except that it contains many formulae, most of them multiline
and input with \eqalign.
I had a big surprise: the PDF output of pdfTeX is 84 kb, compilation
takes
a couple of seconds (in TeXShop) and display is even more rapid. With
XeTeX the PDF output is 15.9 Mb (!), compilation and display take ages.
It
seems (according to Adobe Reader) that the PDF file contains many copies
of every single font (like cmmi10), some with personalized encoding and
others with roman encoding, for the same font.
So it looks like there is still room for improvement! (Which shouldn't
be
taken as a criticism, for v0.3 software.)
Bruno