[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Apr 13 07:18:54 CEST 2004

On Apr 13, 2004, at 02:37, Ross Moore wrote:

> On 13/04/2004, at 3:31 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>> Aside: I think this step too will create problems with Gerben's
>> install.
>> The directory /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ inside which texmf.cnf
>> lives
>> (inside web2c) is erased in the process. Actually, if I remember
>> correctly, Gerben's installer warns that texmf.cnf will be replaced
>> by a
>> newer version, and asks whether the former version should be saved on
>> the
>> Desktop (default answer is yes) so that the user can inspect it later
>> and
>> merge his/her changes with the newer version.
>
> Yes.
> Gerben just wrote saying that he *does* rewrite complete directories.
>
> I knew there was a reason why I do *not* run his installers on my
> laptop.
> Instead I use and maintain my own teTeX installation, updating packages
> only when I have a specific need for them, using the latest TeXLive
> or CTAN.

As long as you add stuff to texmf.local and/or ~/Library/texmf your
stuff will be safe. The i-Package will not remove that on a reinstall
and the i-Package will only remove that on Uninstall if you explicitely
tell it so.

The directories that I distribute (share/texmf share/texmf.tetex and
share/texmf.gwtex) are 'mine' and removing before reinstalling is the
'safe' option.