[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 12 19:44:18 CEST 2004

On Apr 12, 2004, at 10:17 AM, William Adams wrote:

>> BTW, I wonder if we need to start thinking about a generic rich font
>> interface for these fonts?  The Omega people are going to need to deal
>> with this too, as are macro stuff.
>
> Well, that's been the crux of my work on Zapfino... I think Prof.
> Hoenig
> has amply demonstrated that macros are not the ideal interface for this
> sort of thing.

I'm not talking about novel fonts like Zapfino. I'm talking about
wanting the following to "just work" without hacking:

default text font = Hoefler Text with old-style figures
table font = HT with monospaced osf
headings = HT with lining figures
etc.

Oh, and when I use optical fonts, I want them to work automatically.

There's no easy way to do this in LaTeX or ConTeXt, and there should
be.  OpenType fonts have the same issues.

Bruce