[twg-tds] storing scripts in the texmf tree

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 14 16:56:03 CET 2004

Hans Hagen writes:

> At 14:16 14/02/2004, Olaf Weber wrote:
>> I do realise that.  But .zip is a usefulful format for distribution
>> purposes and being able to use it directly would be useful.

> would be nice; how efficient can zip files be searched (for filenames)

IIRC, it's a linear search through the filename index, a bit like
walking a (large) flat directory.  For subsequent accesses to a few
files in a large zip, it should pay to traverse the zip's directory
once and create a hash table storing the random access points for the
individual files -- that is, creating this hash should not be
spectacularly more expensive than searching for a single file in the
zip file.

--
Olaf Weber