[twg-tds] storing scripts in the texmf tree

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Feb 13 10:57:50 CET 2004

At 20:41 12/02/2004, Olaf Weber wrote:

>Based on some private feedback from Hans, let me describe what I've
>implemented the successor to kpathsea (call it kpse).  In kpse, there
>is a kpse.cnf file (the name is determined by the app using kpse),
>which contains sections describing formats like this:

since there will be a new library ...

on windows, fabrice uses a shared memory approach, which means that for
write18 sub processes, no loading of the dstabase takes place (on windows
this is a big speedup because there all names have to be converted to unicode)

the disadvantage is that one cannot run multiple jobs at the same time that
use a differen tree

also, at tug 2002 (india) karel skoupy demonstrated that when run as a
service, kpse was faster

so ... will the next release / new version provide:

-  a service (on some port)
-  shared memory for subprocesses
-  multiple simultaneously (main) tree support

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE/POD/CTS