[twg-tds] storing scripts in the texmf tree

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Tue Feb 10 00:21:00 CET 2004

> > Looking at the top level of TL03, I also see java (with one file,
> > pp4p.jar).  Seems like it could go there too, although it's not a
> > "scripting" language exactly.  I'm not sure what other name to propose,
> > though.  `exec' for executables?  `dataexec' to make clear that they are
> > platform-independent?
>
> "lib" seems to be standard for Unix.  Or maybe libexec.

Hm... "lib" does not automatically stand for "platform-independent",
same for "libexec". "share" is used for platform-independent stuff,
but I don't like that name (and I don't like lib and libexec as well).

Can't we just use the directory name "scripts" and define it as "directory
containing platform-independent program code, for example classical script
programs and java bytecode" in the tds document? I mean, we can't always
expect to be able to express everything in a single word (directory name).

To answer Karl's question about the benefit:
  - we solve the problem for one-file packages (for all languages)
  - it all looks cleaner and more reliable if we can say
      kpsewhich -format=scripts thumbpdf.pl
      kpsewhich -format=scripts texexec.pl
    instead of
      kpsewhich -progname=perl -format='other text files' thumbpdf.pl
      kpsewhich -progname=context -format='other text files' texexec.pl

    Searching texmf/foo// by using
      kpsewhich -progname=foo -format='other text files'
    if foo is nothing like a program but a logical concept (or package
    name) seems like a dirty trick anyway...

Thomas