[twg-tds] [gaulle@idris.fr: a TDS question]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 25 01:00:13 CEST 2003

    <language> is, at t time, one language_name and only one.

Yes, of course.  I meant (leaving aside all the complications of where
`language' gets inserted in the path), given an original .:foo:bar, and
if this potential language searching is enabled, then it could either
search:

  ./language
  foo/language
  bar/language
  .
  foo
  bar

Or it could search:

  ./language
  .
  foo/language
  foo
  bar/language
  bar

Both way seem to have advantages and disadvantages.  But anyway ...

     > Finally, in the current TeX Live texmf tree, it seems that
     > language-specific files are scattered everywhere ... ?

    it-is an argument pro or con?

As Walter said, it means I don't understand how we can implement the
idea in practice, since the files aren't organized that way.  So I guess
it's con.

I agree with your original point, that it would be potentially useful to
dynamically influence path searching as a document switches between
languages.  Perhaps it could be done by doing all the path searching as
usual, but prefer matches which include the language name to those that
don't.  Then it wouldn't really matter where they were in the tree, if
all the language-specific files were segregated under `french',
`german', etc. subdirs.

Besides the latin1.kbc example, are there other existing files/packages
which could be helped by doing this?