[twg-tds] [gaulle@idris.fr: a TDS question]

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Tue Jun 24 22:28:08 CEST 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:29:52 +0200, Bernard Gaulle wrote:

>Just few ideas for discussion...

If I understand it correctly, there are two major
problems:

(1)
No existing TeX systems passes the \language to the
file searching facility.

(2)
There is no well-defined mapping between \language codes
and languages

Under these circumstances it seems to be absolutely
impossible to implement your idea unless some basic
changes are applied to TeX.

Furthermore, putting together a file name such as
"french-latin1.kbc" at TeX level does not need more
computing effort than generating the path name
"french/latin1.kbc" at another level of processing,
i.e., at the level of the OS or the searching facility.
OTOH, you would require a more complicated searching
facility and there will be more degrees of freedom in the
configuration.  Thus, I don't understand the advantage
of your proposal.

best wishes
Walter