[twg-tds] [gaulle@idris.fr: a TDS question]

Bernard Gaulle gaulle at idris.fr
Mon Jun 23 10:10:33 CEST 2003

Thomas Esser writes:
 > On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:33:59AM -0400, Karl Berry wrote:
 > >     1) was an example of a typical pb: if files names doesn't differ
 > >        from, for example, one language to another, how proceed within
 > >        the TDS tree? since language switch may occur along a document.
 > >
 > > In general, as far as I can recall kpathsea's ls-R approach to indexing
 > > requires that all filenames are unique.  This is, of course, an
 >
 > No. [Even at times where you have maintained kpathsea, this restriction
 > did not exist and it was never added. :-)]

right, kpathsea is not the rules' guardian but the exec officer.
TDS doc, para 2.4, says "Names of TeX input files must be unique
within each first-level subdirectory of texmf/tex and
texmf/tex/generic ETC."

 > teTeX has a few non-unique names in texmf/tex. One example is fonttext.cfg:
 >   texmf/tex/generic/config/fonttext.cfg
 >   texmf/tex/cslatex/fonttext.cfg

right, but this is a format dependant solution. The question i
reported was related to multilingual documents and as such fully
format independant.

Karl Berry writes:
 > In this particular case, it seems like a document has to say (the
 > equivalent of) \input french/latin1.kbc anyway, not just \input
 > latin1.kbc.  Doesn't that work, even though latin1.kbc is not unique?

unfortunately it should be
\input french:latin1.kbc on Mac
\input french\latin1.kbc on Windows
\input french/latin1.kbc on Unix
a quite ugly solution.

 > If it doesn't, all I can think of to do is adding ugly prefixes or
 > suffixes to make them unique, such as
 > french/fr-latin1.kbc
 > german/de-latin1.kbc

in that case:
fr-latin1.kbc
de-latin1.kbc

but as there is no link between, eg "german" and "de" it would be:
french-latin1.kbc
german-latin1.kbc
which are quite long names, but i'm afraid there will be not better
solution until a long time...

Thanks to think about that.

  --bg