[twg-tds] [gaulle@idris.fr: a TDS question]

Bernard Gaulle gaulle at idris.fr
Fri Jun 20 09:59:34 CEST 2003

Thanks to Karl to relay my original message to twg-tds at tug.org.
Vladimir Volovich writes:
 > sorry if i don't understand the problem properly, but:
 >  - why would french/latin1.kbc differ from e.g. german/latin1.kbc?
 >    latin1 is the input encoding (iso-8859-1) which doesn't depend on
 >    language
 >
 >  - french/applemac.kbc and russian/applemac.kbc are totally different
 >    encodings, and it is better to call the russian-related file as
 >    e.g. maccyr, since the encoding is called "Macintosh Cyrillic Encoding".
 >
 > then, there will be no filename clashes: each filename corresponds to
 > input encoding name, but not to the language.

thanks to answer to an input-encoding virtual question. The real one,
1) was an example of a typical pb: if files names doesn't differ
   from, for example, one language to another, how proceed within
   the TDS tree? since language switch may occur along a document.
2) and the .kbc files which i cited in the example contain definitions
   of linguistic characters but don't contain definitions for a whole
   input encoding.

 >  KB> ...  This is just a little question regarding the TDS and i don't
 >  KB> know how to solve that.
 >
 >  KB> I currently use keyboard related input files with naming like:
 >
 >  KB> latin1.kbc latin9.kbc applemac.kbc ETC.
 >
 >  KB> Now i want to make it available in a multilingual document.  And
 >  KB> thus i need to access files (in the same document) like:
 >
 >  KB> french/latin1.kbc (using unix scheme for understanding)
 >  KB> german/latin1.kbc french/applemac.kbc russian/applemac.kbc ETC.
 >
 >  KB> but as i can't have the same file names in the same tree, how i
 >  KB> can proceed?
 >
 >  KB> Obviously i don't want to set, e.g. only one latin1.kbc file,
 >  KB> with all available languages around the world included; so how?

Cordiallay.

  --bg