tds installation

Paul A Vojta TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 14:59:03 -0500

> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:42:00 -0800 (PST)
> From: liubomir borissov <liubo@cithe702.cithep.caltech.edu>
> To: twg-tds@shsu.edu
> Subject: tds installation
>
> hi,
>
> i am a new system administrator and i would like to install tex accirding
> to tds on my domain. i have not had previous experience with installing
> tex and even though i read briefly the description of tds, i am not clear
> on how to go about the actual installation. i would appreciate any
> assistance. in particular i am most confused how after i have put all tex
> packages according to tds, to specify the right search path (in the
> environment?) so that tex finds them when they are needed.

Probably the easiest way to install tex is to install a pre-compiled TeX
distribution.  I suggest teTeX, although others are available.  This would
give you a reasonably complete tex installation, TDS-compliant.  If you want
to add to it you could, and would have the installation (so far) as an
example.

You can get teTeX (which includes precompiled binaries for many HP platforms)
from ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/comp/tex/teTeX
Parts of this (but not the HP binaries) are mirrored on ftp.cdrom.com in
the directory pub/linux/sunsite/apps/tex/teTeX.

Installing teTeX, of course, means starting over, but I still think it
would be less time than figuring out all this for yourself.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu